Sunday, February 3, 2019

Weekly Recap #1: Health Inspection!

Work this week, like all weeks, has had its good times and its bad times. Starting off this week on Monday, we had a rather large rush, coupled with an order of 50 breakfast burritos, 30 sausage biscuits, and 30 hashbrowns. It’s interesting to note these people ordered this from a mobile order, then came to get it 3 minutes later expecting it to be done, when they said they’d be there around 30 minutes from then. Probably a typo on their part, but it was still unprecedented for them to show such disdain for an order that large.

Wednesday, I ended up sick and couldn’t show up. I would’ve been there 6:30 to 3, but they seemed to get along fine.

Friday was where all the fun happened. I had just gotten to work around 30 minutes early when I learned two of the managers were already there much earlier than anyone else. It was inventory day, and someone in the managerial team lost some of the deposit slips. This was no good, especially considering they were supposed to be playing the boring adult version of a matching card game with these and the receipts that came with.
As Friday continued along at a steady pace, I was placed in several different parts of the store. Mostly, though, I stayed on the second lane’s headset, making drinks and dodging actual customer interaction minus being a voice over a headset. Our headset for lane two is somewhat of a pain in the ass, to say the least. The sound is somewhat garbled and pops in and out at times, and the way you know there is a person at the lane is by the loud “DING DING” at a high enough pitch to almost make dogs whine. I hated this part of lane two in particular, and would not shut up about it for at least three hours as the dinging continued to deafen my right ear. It was a lovely time.

Despite all this, I was soon to get off of lane two after a grueling 6 hours, and I was ecstatic. I would be moved into the realm of customer interaction at the pick-up window, which, besides my lack of contentedness with people, sounded like a godsend compared to listening to the headset ding one more fucking time. I spent a meager 20 minutes in the window before the person in the grill decided it was time to act like she didn’t know what she was doing. She should’ve, as I trained her originally months ago and she had two managers back there, but alas, she did not know shit, my friends.

I hate to be this way most of the time, I really do, but when it takes 6 and a half minutes to get me one cheeseburger and I have to deal with the impatient customer, you bet your ass I wasn’t going to abide by that! I turned to the manager in charge, kindly asked if I could correct the problem we didn’t need to be having, and subsequently did. A good ten minutes went by, we went through a good forty or fifty orders, and I went back up front.

Of course, me being up front wasn’t going to last long either. Knowing all the positions can be a pain sometimes, and this day was definitely testing every bit of my patience with those around me. I was working the front register, one of my favorite positions as it is simple and there are far fewer customers to deal with than drive-thru. As I was enjoying the peaceful life, fully aware I had roughly an hour left, the GM came in the store. On most occasions, my GM is relatively nice, calm and doesn’t try to show any negativity in the workplace if he can help it, but this time was, no doubt, different, for the health inspector was here!

Ah, yes, the health inspector. If there was one image I always kept for health inspectors, it was that one image of the fish one from SpongeBob on the episode with the “Nasty Patty”. Pretty sad, considering they almost killed the man, but what can I do? It just stuck with me! Well, this guy looked nothing like that fish for sure. Mostly because that’s a cartoon fish, and this was a real-life person. He was nice, but he’s relatively strict (which is a good thing no doubt, but a few of the things were a bit ridiculous!). He wandered the store, checking the ins and outs of all the different tables, equipment, and other such things. As this continued, we were busy as hell with a rush that just HAD to be going on at the same time as an inspection. Tables were dirty, floors unswept, towels strewn about in various places for a quick cleaning as the orders continued piling on both on the front counter and in the drive-thru, and times were back up to an all-time high as people waited minutes on end for the most minute orders.

It didn’t take another few minutes before I was being forced back to the grill to accommodate the severe lack of understanding from our dear friend on the sandwich table. It was almost hilarious to me how ridiculous this ended up being within just a forty-minute time period! Well, anyway, the rush died down, we scored lower than usual on the inspection and I went home shortly after.

Saturday and today were wonderfully mundane. Working 5-hour shifts from opening at 4am to 9am is simple, and the only problem is stocking up my area before my spot is overtaken by another person or two, as the usual suspect likes to act like she can’t do anything! I finished early today and was sent home roughly thirty minutes earlier. It was nice, and now I get to sit here and type this bad boy up! I believe that’s about it for my weekly work recap!


I hope you all enjoyed reading this one! If you did, leave a comment somewhere on here or social media where you found this, and subscribe/follow for more on here, Twitter or Facebook! Give a like if you enjoyed wherever you found this too!

No comments:

Post a Comment